The Department of Archeology is a one of the principal departments at the History Museum of Armenia and functions from the day of its creation. The collection of the Armenian Ethnographic Association of the Caucasus, which was transferred from Tbilisi to Yerevan in 1921-1922, comprises the basis of the Department. The collection was presented by the finds of the 4th-1st millennia BC from the monuments (Sevan Basin, Ararat Valley and the provinces of Nakhijevan and Sharur-Daralagyaz), excavated by Y. Lalayan.
Later, the Department was replenished with the collections of the State Commission of Monuments, the Museums of Antiquities in Ani and Vagharshapat.The famous archeologist and ethnographer Yervand Lalayan became the first head of the Department, combining this withhis duties of the director of the Museum and the head of the Department of Ethnography.Starting from the 1930s, the Museum launched and carried out a large-scaled and systematic study of the monuments in Armenia. The newly-discovered findings replenished the collections and gave an opportunity to present the entire course of development of history and culture in the Armenian Highland from the Old Stone Age to Late Middle Ages (from 1,000,000-800,000 BC to the end of the 14th century), through the expositions organized by the Department. The archeological expeditions of the Museum excavated the famous monuments that presented the different periods of human civilization: Shengavit, Harich, Artik, Lchashen, Dvin, and others. The research results of the Department specialists have been published as monographs and articles.
THE ARCHEOLOGICAL FUND STRUCTURE
The Fund includes seven archeological collections that present the entire course of the historical-cultural evolution of the Armenian Highland from theOld Stone Age to theLate Middle Ages, from 1,000,000 BC to the 15th century AD.
Meritorious scholars Y. Lalayan, E. Bayburdian, K. Ghafadarian, M. Hasratian, H. Mnatsakanian, T. Khachatrian, S. Yesayan, E. Khanzadian, E. Musheghian and others greatly contributed to the enrichment, study and publishing of the archeological funds of the Museum.