For many years, coins have comprised a part of the general archeological funds at the History Museum of Armenia. In 1946, the Numismatic Cabinet was established under the guidance of Aslan Shahnazarian, and in 1977 it was reorganized into a Numismatic Department. From 1959 to 1992, the well-known numismatist Khachatur Musheghian was the head of the Room and then the Department; Henry Sargsian succeeded him until the year 2000. In 1993, the Department was named after American-Armenian numismatist Paul Zareh Bedoukian, who had made a great contribution to the development of Armenian numismatics and greatly enriched the numismatic collection at the History Museum of Armenia. Currently the department is headed by Ruben Vardanyan.
THE NUMISMATIC FUND STRUCTURE
Gold, silver and copper coins comprise the greater part of this fund. Medals, jetons, decorations and badges are kept in the Numismatic Fund; there are collections of banknotes and stamps as well.