Department of Excursions
The department of organizing excursions at the History Museum of Armenia was founded in 1961.
Tourism flourished in the Soviet Union, when it became member of the International Tourism Association in 1956, and “Sputnik”, an international touristic organization for young people was founded in 1958. Soviet republics were also included in the main touristic routes.
Due to the new state policy and structural changes at the museum, a special department was formed to provide guided tours for local and foreign visitors.
At present, the History Museum of Armenia has become a most visited cultural centre, where visitors receive comprehensive information on the history, culture and art of the Armenian people, also their cultural identity in the context of world culture in the following languages: Armenian, English, Russian, French, German and Italian.
The Department of Excursions carries out a number of important cultural and educational programs. Every year students of History, Culturology and History of Art Departments at the History Faculty of the Yerevan State University, those studying Museology at Yerevan Pedagogical University, students of Brusov State University of Languages and Social Sciences in Yerevan, and those from the university of Antwerp have their professional practice courses in the museum.
For many years the Department collaborates with “Quant” and “Anania Shirakatsi” colleges and QSI International School: within the program “Know Your Country”, organizes guided tours for the children of border regions, and elaborates new projects to popularize the knowledge on history, culture and art.